I've never seriously considered using linux on my computer. The idea of downloading and using a free OS, while nice, just seemed daunting. I mean, when you hear about the culture surrounding linux. . . well, I'm not saying I'm not interested, but it's just another one of those things that makes me feel a little inferior.
But! Feeling a little adventurous (and, also, bored), I decided I'd burn an ISO of Knoppix to disk and try it out. I'm still not any kind of super computer geek or anything, but I kind of like the set up. I'll have to do more experimenting to see just how deep the rabbit hole goes (yes, I watched The Matrix recently), but I know that I will definitely be converting this computer to a Linux/Unix based system in the near future. Mostly it depends on whether or not I'm willing to make myself comfortable with the idea of using GIMP over Photoshop.
The most beautiful thing about Linux, though, is that it only takes up about 700 megabytes (which is about 324 megabytes short of a gigabyte) of space on the hard drive. This is in comparison to the 10 gigabytes that Windows XP eats. Why is this an issue for me? My hard drive is only twenty gigabytes.
Normally I'm not very efficient in the things I do, but it would seem this might be a good idea for me to seize hold of.
Well, except for the whole "I need use of Dreamweaver and Painter and all that other crap I like having!"
No comments:
Post a Comment