Wednesday, August 08, 2007

My body is 75% cheese.

Sometimes as I am standing over a boiling pot of water, watching the elbow noodles cascade from a box of Macaroni and Cheese into the beginning of its soggy end, I wonder about the universe. One of those really has nothing to do with the other and one has everything to to with my life in general, and which is which is at your discretion, though who's to say that one can't be both?

Talking in circles is a specialty of mine. In any case, on the occasions that I find myself contemplating the universe, it seems as though the wondering does not come from thoughts about anything otherworldly. I'm not thinking about God or heaven or hell or aliens or demonds* or angels. Sometimes I'm not really thinking of anything, in fact. I could be contemplating politics or social groups, gossip or gratitude, a dream, a nightmare, or the color of my dog's fur. The point is, if I think on any subject long enough, something strange connects in my head and disconnects my body. As my thoughts spiral in patterns on patterns, connecting this mental pathway, discarding another, reconnecting to it maybe even just moments later, and a strange thing happens. For a moment, I feel like I exist outside of my body while retaining full knowledge of its senses. My best explanation is that it feels like my being is seeping out of its mortal container and having a mixer with the world immediately surrounding.

No, I am not on drugs.

But sometimes, I'm universal. Pity in never lasts more than a moment, and all the more that I don't really understand it. But I guess I'm not really supposed to.


* who are the funny cousins of demons**
** and possibly additions to the mythology of Xiggysisklism***, now that I think on it.
*** which shall be explained in due time.

No comments: