Tuesday, February 06, 2007

I want to write, but I find that, at present, I don't have much to say. Or, more specifically, I don't know how to express anything right now.

Today was an exciting day, another reason to be happy. Naomi Shihab Nye came to speak with a bunch of students at AHS today, and I was lucky enough to be there, in the room. It was something like being star-struck, except that I had never heard of her before Ms. Haag told us that she would be coming to the school. She talked about all kinds of things. About some of her history, that she loves food (everyone should), and a flyer pinned up that shouted "Lost Friends."

We wrote and some people read aloud, and I was happy to hear what others said, and proud too, especially of my friend Geof, who wrote an awesome bit of poetry. In fact, I was proud of most of the Lit Maggers, actually. Trumped the IBers. At least the ones that read, though the other kids who were courageous enough to read (for I was not among them) had great stuff in their heads.

I wish we had stayed, an talked with her more, but time was up, and Geof wanted to go (I forced him to attend, and I like to think it was good for him). Just to give you something that came out of the experience, here's the second poem I wrote (because I liked it better than the first).


The sound of her voice pulses in my ears. Every word has double meaning, all actions confuse, and I wonder aloud with a flirtatious grin, "What do you want from me?"

1 comment:

Ginger said...

You're gorgeous! I love that you had that response to Naomi! Also, I was proud of my litmaggers.

She was amazing, wasn't she!?!!

I want to follow her and carry that stupid suitcase for her. She rocked!
Go see Sunshine's blog via my blog. It's well worth the read..