Thursday, February 01, 2007

Valentines.

For English class, we are required to write a poem to give to each classmate. We can do separate Valentines for each person if we like, but this is the generic poem that I plan to give to those I can't think of something to write for. Assuming I write separate poems. I do plan to draw an image into the background for each individual person, but that's all I have planned for now.

First loves and awkward looks. Shared secrets spill from notes written in happy haste. “Your hair's so soft.” And smiles dance on lips as bodies sway to music not playing. Then one day the music dies, and angry vines creep in where the flowers stood proud, spreading moments worth thought apart. I knew you once, a very long time ago. I knew you too, and loved you. How come you never told me then?

We laughed again like we were best friends. Did we really grow that fast? When did we talk last? It was so long ago. Years have passed since, and I discovered I hardly knew you then. Were we close? I don't remember. I remember we had a slumber party. We listened to some religious story and I laughed. It wasn't my thing, even then. Maybe that's why we aren't friends. We became different people, but I'm still glad I knew you.

Talk to me! I said hello for a reason and you stood off all over again. Can I come over? No, I'm busy. Fine. Be that way. But let me say, you've got more room to move than in that little cube you love so much. So many words left spoken by the eye, and never more than that. But there's more to life than what you've got, you lose, you get back.

So often seen, these dreams unlived and we keep them in our heads. But take them out, because someone wants to know. And who can tell what the future holds? Success and failure, two sides of the same and one with more to gain. Don't be afraid to learn a little. It's what makes the story worth the telling.

No comments: